Monday, September 27, 2010

M*A*S*H

I was just watching a M*A*S*H rerun. Radar had hit an adjoshi on a dark road coming back to camp. The adjoshi didn't have any broken bones but you would have thought he was dying in his hospital bed. It turns out he was faking it and had jumped in front of the jeep to scam some money. This wasn't his first accident. I was reminded of how Koreans are today about blood money.

It reminded me of DongChim hamming up his injuries with the complicity of his doctor to get more blood money out of the guy who hit his car.

It reminded me of the asshole who started a fight with one of my friends so he could get blood money. A guy who had a history of doing that with people, the police knew about it, and they still pushed paying him blood money.

Watching it happen on TV brought all these things to mind. I wonder if the storyline was based on an incident from during the Korean War? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

The more things change the more they stay the same.


4 comments:

  1. Yip yip. I agree. All of the mooks I ran into were more into the immediate settlement of affairs (money, money, money) rather than reporting to the police or the insurance companies.
    Ah, tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the mooks who ran INTO you wanted money from you too!

    ReplyDelete