Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What the ... honour?

Stig emailed me this headline from Yahoo News. It is about a current trend in South Korea for people to have the ashes of deceased loved ones transformed into beads to wear.

I am betwixt and between about what I think of it. On the one hand everyone grieves in different ways. I know of one woman, Korean, who had a special crucifix made to hold some of her dead husband's ashes. It is a touching gesture.

On the other hand it seems a litdtle morbid. Especially when you read about the guy who had his father's bones dug up to be cremated and then made into beads for him to wear.

In the end I lean more towards thinking "to each their own". Many people keep the ashes of loved ones in an urn in a place of honour within their homes. Now some will wear them. While it isn't something I would do if it brings them comfort and doesn't hurt anyone so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment