Friday, December 17, 2010

Shit Koreans Say ... about education.

"If you sleep more than 4 hours a day you are a lazy student."

I was talking about studying with one of my middle school classes. The topic turned to how much time they spend studying a day. That is when one of my students told me that a teacher told him he was a lazy student because he got 6 hours sleep a night. The rest of the class said they have all heard it from teachers as well.

It is a good way of summing up just how crazy things are in Korea when it comes to studying. No wonder they have the highest teen suicide rate in the OECD.

2 comments:

  1. Hence why they get nothing done in school, so fall back on hagwons and tutoring. Vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. The same students who talked about getting little sleep also talked about how they sleep in school.

    I had one student my 1st year who was in elementary school. His parents owned a science hagwon. Between hagwons and public school he was in classes from 6Am to 10PM then doing homework and studying at home until 1-2 AM. All he did in my class, and many others, was sleep. And the parents wondered why his marks and ability went downhill over 6 months. Of course the teachers were blamed.

    ReplyDelete