Thursday, December 10, 2009

Setting the record straight (Korea Times)

Ok, I broke down and decided to send a Letter to the Editor to the Korea Times. Since they wanted to set the record straight I would like to see them honestly answer MY question. Why did they NOT cover what is a major story affecting their readership? Below is a copy of the letter I sent them.

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/12/164_56883.html

Re: Setting the record straight

Here is a question I would like you to set straight for the record. Why didn't the Korean Times report on the serial rapist that was working between Choenan and Cheongju for the last 6 years?

He was caught last year and even then it was ONLY reported in the Korean media. What makes never mentioning the serial rapist a HUGE failing for something calling itself a news outlet is that he was targeting part of YOUR audience. He was targeting foreign women!

Why should I consider the Korean Times to be a real news outlet when it ignored a story like that?

To be honest, I haven't really bothered with the Korean Times for years. I found the quality of the reporting to be low and thus I moved on. From what I have seen lately, especially the "reporting" of Kang Shin-who, it hasn't changed. It has gotten worse.

Oh and just so you don't think I am only picking on the Korean Times, NO Korean-English media covered this story. None. Zero. Zip. Shame on them too.

P.S. Now for something that is probably nitpicking. Is it REALLY professional to have your business email address as foolsdie@koreatimes.co.kr? A little professionalism can go a long way to having people take you seriously.

Flint
Cheongju

No comments:

Post a Comment