Sunday, April 4, 2010

Comfort TV

People talk about their comfort food and how it harkens back to mom's cooking. Well, there is also comfort TV.

Ice Road Truckers is one of my guilty pleasures. It seems like an insane premise for a show. Yet ... I watch it and like it. It reminds me of a lot of good times I had with my dad. I can see my dad in some of the truckers.

As you may have guessed my father was a truck driver. Among many things he did in life, including serving in the Army as a mechanical engineer during World War 2.

He wasn't home as much as he would have liked to be over the years. But he was earning money so we could have a home, eat, and have clothes. He made sure we were provided for. He made me promise him I would never become a truck driver. A promise I will always keep but kind of regret. I would have loved it.

I spent a lot of my life in a truck. Helping load and unload them. They were some of the best times of my life. Dad would pull me out of school sometimes and take me on trips. I learned more about life and people on those trips. I was lucky enough to travel the eastern half of Canada

and a lot of the eastern US.

Hugh "Polar Bear" Rowland reminds me a lot of dad. The attitude. The cockiness. The skill set. About the only difference is dad rarely swore and smoked a cigar. Mind you when the old man swore ... the air would turn blue. :) You have to be a jack-of-all trades in Ice Trucking and that was dad. Little schooling but if it had an engine he could fix it.

I could see the old man doing the ice runs just so he could brag about
it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Flint has given me a lot of suggestions, and has even got me squared away in the downloading area. I even have a guilty pleasure of a show. But that's going to be a whole post on its own, so stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete