Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shave and a haircut .... not here.

I miss getting my hair cut in Korea. It is possible to get a straight razor shave with your cut at most barber shops. (You haven't been able to get a shave at a barber shop in Canada in well over a decade. Maybe over 2 decades.) The Barber barber shop not the massage parlour and sex barber shop. ;)

I found Blue Club (for Men) when I lived in Yongam-dong. Always went there after that. When I moved to GaGyeong-Dong there was a Blue Club by my school. They know how to treat a customer.

Blue Club breaks things down so even the most clueless newbie to Korea can get a haircut. They have pictures showing the 6, or is it 8, main cuts they do. A basic cut costs about $5. For $7-8 you can get a head massage shampoo. They also dye hair.

Today I went to the hair shop I have always gone to at home. I haven't been there in 2 years. It has changed a lot. The staff is still great. Very friendly and efficient. But it cost $22 for a cut and shampoo! A men's die would have cost another $20 if I wanted one. At Blue club a mens cut, dye, and shampoo is $20. Plus in korea there is NO tipping.

In Korea they treat you like a VIP when you are getting a haircut. They MADE good drip coffee for customers. Usually threw in a bit of a head massage even if you weren't getting one. As I have said many times Korean's are usually good at customer service.

While service was good today by Canadian standards it would have been considered poor service in Korea. Had to drown my sorrows in a cup of Tim Horton's coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment