Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cheongju Immigration Office Take 2

Ok, before you read this sit down. I know my last post about Immigration was a shock to people, a double shock to some. Saying nice things AND about a government department. You don't usually see that in any country I have lived.

Today I had to go back to Immigration and pick up my Alien Registration Card (actually I should have done it yesterday but it was too wet out.) I like to be early and I wasn't sure if the scooter was going to work so I left about 8:30, they open at 9AM. Except for one wanker that almot hit me I made it there with no problems. Maybe even too quickly. It only took 10 minutes.

Well, the doors were open so rather than wait outside I went in. At 8:45 a couple of Immigration employees came in and started getting their stuff in order. I got my number and waited.

At 8:55 my number, 1 of course, flashed on the screen. FIVE MINUTES before office hours start! That would NEVER EVER happen back home. Trust me on that, I did some casual work with different departments back home. They delay everything to the last minute and ONLY do what is required. Which is what makes the following joke so funny.

Why doesn't the civil servant look out the window in the morning?
Because he would have nothing to do in the afternoon.

She took my receipt, got my card, and had me sign for it. All in all it took about 1 minute and change. I was out of Immigration and on my way to work THREE minutes before they were even supposed to be open.

Once again I have to say a hearty Thank You!! The folks at Immigration in Cheongju are doing a great job.


2 comments:

  1. Last time I went to the immigration office to get my yearly spouse visa formalities done was also epic. (I just need a stupid stamp on my alien card in order to extend one year, so it just takes 1mn for me every time). I arrived in a super crowded room. There were DOZENS of Fresh off the boat Filipinos and Vietnamese waiting for their turn. Thanks God, Chinese immigrants have their own office three floors down.

    The woman in charge of helping you filling forms and shits, smiled at me, so I went to speak with her. (It's not all the time that you see a black woman working for the Korean government). She was originally from Congo but was now a Korean citizen, and she spoke both French and Korean perfectly. She was married to a Korean man, who used to be a diplomat to Congo. After a few minutes talking, and showing me pictures of their kids, she gave me a ticket with the number which was next ! I got to double-cross the 50 filipinos and vietnamese, and surprise... the Korean clerk spoke perfect French too ! Both girls told me that I was the first French speaker they saw in the 8 years they've been working at the immigration office.

    I was in and out in 5 minutes time, and got to speak my mother tongue all along. Fantastic.

    Total cheers to my city of residence's immigration office !

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 years ago I would have been pulling my hair out and doing a LOT of cursing. They have really got things running better.

    It is so nice to deal with any government office that actually works. :)

    ReplyDelete