Monday, January 4, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I am sitting in the teachers room watching the snow outside. It looks so beautiful out. Driving in to work on the scooter was fun. While it was a little challenging I am used to driving in winter weather. Never had a problem doing it. What makes it more challenging is keeping an eye on the other driver, who aren't used to it. Too many of them drive as if it was a normal day. God forbid they slow down a little. It is always balli balli, have to hurry.

The snowfall reminds me of March of 2004. South Korea was hit by the worst snowstorm in recorded history for that date. You could say in 100 years because it was 100 years ago that they started keeping records. Cheongju got 48 cm of snow in one day. The city was at a standstill. Hagwons CLOSED. It is the ONLY time I can think of in all my years here that Hagwons closed.

Since there is no snow removal equipment around or salt trucks (at least that I have seen) the roads get nasty. On the highway you will see containers of salt/sand or bags along the side of the road. If you feel the road is too icy YOU can get out and spread some.

Back in'04 the ice and snow got compressed by drivers. Some of the ruts, in what became pretty much solid ice, were a good 6 inches or more deep. They ended up using front end loaders and dump trucks, and in at least one instance jackhammers, to loosen and remove the ice. It was almost a week before they got to some of the side streets in Cheongju.

It was interesting to see how people who aren't used to snow react when a shit load of it is dumped down. On the walk to work I helped push 4-5 cars that were stuck. Pushed another 3-4 on the way home

It doesn't look as bad today as it was in 2004. Mind you I haven't seen the roads yet.

Happy New Year!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Flint and Stig,

    New Year wishes.

    The first post was quite late. Ah! The snowfall made me feel at home. No wonder I kept thinking of home the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :)

    I was doing the same thing. Had a ball driving driving to work and back in the snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few hagwons closed around the country today, and in Daegu cars actually slowed to safe speeds. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn. A late Christmas miracle? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was preparing to go in to work when my director called to say the school was closed because of the snow. I was not looking forward to driving, but I didn't think it was that bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was worse yesterday ... but you were off yesterday.

    ReplyDelete