Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Driving In Korea

It's a beautiful day here in the 'ju. We've had a couple days of snow, and it's a winter wonderland. But Flint already posted about that.
There's a park across the street from my one room con-apt. It slopes up sharply from the street and then levels off just above my window (I'm on the third floor). There's usually a crowd of mooks playing that soccer-volleyball hybrid game, or a herd of kindergartners shrieking and running around crazy-go-nuts.
Today there's some kids using scrap pieces of cardboards as sleds on the slopes, sliding right into the street. Or they would if it wasn't lined with cars. I wonder if they sell sleds or toboggans here? Most of the places I've lived in Korea get snow for about a day at most, so I guess there's not much of a market for them. I remember what fun I had when I was younger. Calvin and Hobbes reminded me of just how dangerous a toboggan can be, so I figured Koreans would love it.
But I was going to write about driving in Korea, wasn't I?
I was not looking forward to driving in the snow, but my director called me to say she was closing, and that we would resume classes tomorrow. I was relieved to say the least.
I used to think Koreans were the worst drivers in the world, until I went to Saigon. Now I'm thankful Koreans aren't that bad.
I've had a car for about a year and a half now, and I've had four accidents. They've all been nothing more than scrapes/fender-benders, but still...
Flint has talked about selfishness vs. obliviousness. I lean towards Korean drivers as being selfish more than oblivious. They do tend to ignore everything that is not right directly in front of them, but it is far more important for them to be first. Running red lights, cutting people off, driving too close, and weaving in and out of traffic are just some of their tricks. They can NOT be second, even if it means endangering themselves and everyone around them.
Take my most recent accident. I was waiting at an intersection, intending to cross a busy road and go down a side street. There was a long line of traffic waiting for the light, and I knew I would never make it. I went into the right hand turn lane, intending to go straight and squeeze into the line of traffic. The driver I got in front of was so incensed, he crossed the centre line, zoomed ahead of me, and cut me off, clipping my front bumper in the process.
So we stopped, and I called my director's husband to interpret for me. The other driver was all silent and non-confrontational with me when He saw my foreigness. I eventually gave him 50,000 won and went on my way. First, I might add.
They are all about keeping in front of everyone else. I remember reading an article in TIME magazine about Asian drivers. A Chinese driving instructor told his pupil NOT to use his signal light, because it would give the other driver a clue to his intentions, making it easier to close up the space before he could change lanes.
Koreans use turn signals, but sparingly. They are much more in love with their four-way flashers. Flint says they think it means they can do anything and they're covered.
The obliviousness does come into it as a factor in their driving. I take it as read that every driver on the road is a potential bomb waiting to go off and destroy me utterly. I try to be careful and be prepared for any crazy shit to happen at any moment. Keeps me on my toes.
Flint says he could never be patient enough to drive a car. He would become consumed by road rage, and violence would ensue. I take the opportunity to work on my patience, take it easy, and take out my frustrations on my students.
Joke.
No, really.
But not all Korean drivers are crazed maniacs with their feet pushed to the floor. Some of them are kinda slow, almost like they're 'luuded up, or something. People can't drive that slow and not be influenced chemically in some way.
The first accident I had is an example of how dumb they can be. The streets in my neighbourhood are fairly narrow, made even more so by the cars parked on both sides. The driving lane is one car wide at best. If you meet an oncoming driver, one of you has to give way. I remember waiting for half an hour before one cab driver finally backed down.
Anyway, I was coming around a corner when an oncoming vehicle forced me to put my car into reverse and back up so he could get by. As I started to back up, however, I heard some shouting, scooter horn beeping, and saw general mookish milling around in my rear view. I waited a bit, and then started backing up again, but heard more shouting, beeping, and saw yet more mookishness.
After I saw a scooter go off the other way, I started to back up yet again, right into a delivery scooter. I broke off a piece of his front wheel cover. 50,000 won and he was on his way.
I still wonder to this day what he thought my back up lights were for. Was he hypnotized? Koreans are mollified by bright shiny objects, so maybe...
Between being selfish/oblivious, Korean drivers do make life more interesting.

6 comments:

  1. How about finding parking spots? :) One of the things I love about my scooter is it can just slip in anywhere. I think if I had a car I would have to park almost as far away as work is sometimes.

    I think I have too much of a temper to drive a car in Korea. I let the idiocy bother me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Koreans are mollified by bright shiny objects"

    So true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes have trouble finding a spot, but it's about 50-50. It would be a lot easier if the morons who drive in this country didn't take up two stalls at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! I drove for almost a year, here. I had a Ssangyong trashy SUV. It was cool, but the Koreans are so dangerous and selfish on the street, that I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Koreans are actually very good drivers." The quote was from a high level student I once taught. I wonder which koreans he was talking about. I figured you could name them on one hand.

    I always use this example when discribing the Korean "drivers": Imagine that you had a very tall 6 year old, taught him the mechanics of driving and the rules of the road, then told him he could disregard the rules anytime he wanted to.
    Just got in from driving to the store a half a beer ago. I had a Korean cut in front of me while i was driving so that he could make a left turn across two lanes of traffic. No one in back of me, but he couldnt wait that 2 extra seconds.
    Sometimes I pull up next to them to bitch them out. Most of the time they have no idea what they did. It is just how the drive....like ricetards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember one rainy night a couple of months ago. I had the green light to make a left turn. Some ricetard coming the other way decided he had the right of way and could ignore the light and make a right turn. he almost clipped me. (I was on my scooter.)

    So I am pissed and decide to follow the dumb son of a bitch. (He ignored my beeping,lights, and shouting.) After a few side street turns he stopped. And I was even MORE pissed off.

    His side street turns took him to a spot that he would have been at JUST as fast if he had waited for the green light!

    I smack on his window with a fist. He rolls it down and I lay in to him. Used a lot of English and Korean swear words. His girlfriend in the passenger seat looked like she just pissed herself. His jaw was working and then in GOOD English he said "Oh, sorry. I never saw you." Other than drag the asshole out the window and smack the shit out of him what can you do? Ricetardic fucktards.

    ReplyDelete