Monday, January 11, 2010

What the ... Dokdo?

What the ... Kimchi? Dokdo has holy sites?

No one is greedy but someone covets Dokdo? No one is greedy but you will keep it for your sake?

And make up your fucking mind. Are they islands or islets? There is a difference. At least they didn't called them aisles. :)

Silly empty talks? Kind of like silly empty songs? Anything like Silly Little Love Songs?

Oops. I am getting ahead of myself. :) Let's roll back a minute or so and let me start over.

I was going through my favourites on YouTube the other day when I saw a gem I had forgotten all about. Almost pissed myself laughing when I first saw it. It still brings a chuckle.


It is hard to put into words just how horribly funny the song is. The music and singing were bad enough but the lyrics. Holy shit! They were so stupid that they were hilarious.

Strangely enough the song is meant to be a SERIOUS way to promote Dokdo as Korean. Instead it ended up like a lot of the nationalistic Dokdo hype ... amusingly pathetic.

I don't know what it is about Koreans and trying to express their extreme nationalistic fervor. They either come up with seriously deranged shit (a la the freaks a year or so ago who beat pheasants to death with hammers in front of the Japanese Embassy to "show the world Japan is evil." Who exactly is evil?) or you get pathetic shit like this song that just makes non-Koreans shake their head and/or laugh.

In case you wanted to spare your ears, and they are funny enough on their own, here are the lyrics. I copied the lyrics straight from the subtitles shown on the video. They were also provided by whoever posted the song. If I had written them based on what I heard they would have looked a little different.

Do you know Dokdo?
Written by MOON YOUNG Sung by SEO HEE

Dokdo the beautiful islands have been parts of Korean land.
For the last two thousand years.
They are Korean land.
Located in the middle of East Sea we call.
They comprise two main isles East and West islets.

Everybody wants to be there cause of the holy sites.
Everybody wants to be there hoping to meet seagulls.
Yes, nobody is greedy for them cause of the holy sites.
But some people covet them that is real nonsense!

Korea Korea proud to be Koreans.
I'm willing to die for the peace of Korea.
Dokdo Dokdo I'll keep it for my sake.
I love I love Dokdo forever.
I love I love Dokdo forever.

Dokdo the peaceful islands have been parts of the Korean hearts.
Since the Shilla King Jijung conquered Usan land.
Though the long war was over. some ones feel no peace yet.
Foolish men start to say silly empty talks.

Everybody wants to be there cause of the holy sites.
Everybody wants to be there hoping to meet seagulls.
Yes, nobody is greedy for them cause of the holy sites.
But some people covet them that is real nonsense!

Korea Korea proud to be Koreans.
I'm willing to die for the peace of Korea.
Dokdo Dokdo I'll keep it for my sake.
I love I love Dokdo forever.
I love I love Dokdo forever.
I love I love Dokdo forever.







6 comments:

  1. Dokdo? What is that?
    Did you mean Liancourt Rocks? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flint channels Kim JonIl and says: Riancoult locks? Oh you craim them two? Fuck you Hans Brix!

    Errr I mean ... yeah the Liancourt Rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, stupid nationalist shit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what KRD, Flint, Stig and I will be singing if we were to be Koreans.

    Seriously guys, we as Koreans.

    Also, Korea has a history of 5000 years and Dokdo has been a part of Korea from past 2000 years (ref: poem). I guess Shilla kingdom "snatched" it from the rightful owner. Ahem-Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm ... Stig ... what would we be singing?

    Yeah ... 2000 vs 5000 is another mistake they made. Or did they? Maybe the seagulls really own the Liancourt Rocks?

    ReplyDelete