Thursday, January 14, 2010

A night out.

I never usually drank during the week until I came to Korea. It just isn't usual back home unless there is a special occasion. Coming here and having staff drinking dinners was a bit strange. But I got used to it.

I read a newspaper article a while back, after the switch to the 5 day work week. It talked about how more soju was consumed Thursday nights than any other night of the week. Not really surprising considering how many Koreans go out Thursday night now with co-workers.

One of my old foreign co-workers (can't just say co-worker eh?) asked me about that last year. Why do they always go out on Thursday night? I told her what I was told. With Saturdays off now they are family time. Koreans will go out and get soused Thursday night. Have their hang over Friday. Saturday is for family. Having a hangover Saturday would interfere with family time.

The interesting point of that is coming in hung over on Fridays. Since the boss was out with you and most likely got hammered too it is ok to be hung over at work the next day. Back home that could get you fired if it happened regularly.

Copious quantities of soju (sorry Toad Juice Man, C1 not Jinro but I do hear the boys at Jinro make a quality product) and Cass draught beer were consumed. Our new owner really nows home to throw a party. There will be a lot of ass dragging today. What will make it harder on most of my co-workers is that for January we start at 10AM, supposed to be there for 9AM. Any other month we would have started at 3pm. I left at 1:30AM and there were still 5 people drinking. I would hate to be their heads today. :)

It is almost 9:20AM now and the secretary and I are the only ones at work. :)

The food last night was great. A little shop that supposedly sells boar. After reading their sign last night (ok and having large portions translated for me too) I am not so sure. It didn't look like cuts you would get from a head but .... it is called Brawn. Brawn is the meat from the head of a cow or pig. It usually gets used in head cheese. (Mom loves it, I don't.) BUT it can also refer to boar. Based on the cuts of meat I am more inclined to think we ate boar. But (again) this is Korea. So you just never know. Some of my co-workers talked with the owner about the meat and she said it was boar. (Then again it could be boar brawn. Ok ... drink your coffee and stop thinking.) Regardless it was tasty.

2 comments:

  1. I have been at my school for a year and a half now, and I can count the time we've been out on the fingers of one hand.
    Plus, it's a family business type deal. There are sisters and brothers in charge of the English/Piano hagwons.
    When we go out, their kids come along. Also, the math hagwon has a teacher with a daughter who attends classes, and then hangs around waiting for her mom to finish. She comes along to dinner, too.
    So night's out don't involve a lot (read: no) drinking.
    Sigh.
    I don't mind a night out drinking with co-workers, but sometimes it gets a little dire when the older teacher insists on feeding as many shots as possible to everybody else.
    So... you take what they give you, I guess.
    And then drink, or worship the porcelain god, when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stig

    Damn. Kids come along? Screw that noise.

    I have been lucky with my co-workers the last almost 4 years. And my boss. We go out fairly regularly. It is usually always a good time.

    ReplyDelete