Sunday, March 21, 2010

What The... Courtesy?!

I did Flint a favour this week. He'd received a shipment from nicedeli.com, and the package was just too big to fit on his scooter. So I swung by his school to pick it up and take it home for him.
It was a sizeable box - an armful, but not too difficult to handle. His school is on the eighth floor, and as I was riding down to the lobby, the elevator stopped on the fifth. This guy got on and rode down the rest of the way with me, not acknowledging me in any way as strangers will do.
He preceded me out of the elevator and the lobby, letting the front door close in my face as I laboured along with my arms full of package.
What the kimchi?
Since when did holding a door open for somebody become something that doesn't even cross your mind? Is the bridge out? Are your brains that crowded with thoughts of kimchi or Dokdo or your tiny penis that you can't make the courtesy connection?
I've been treated courteously before by Koreans, so I know some of them do have manners, but so many more of them act like I'm simply something in their way, an obstruction to be got round or elbowed out of the way. To them, I'm not even worthy of an "Excuse me," or even a "Shille hamnida."
This mook reminded of an adjussi who was entering a restaurant where Flint and I were chowing down on some excellent sam gyup sal. He was gawking at us while he was holding the door open for his wife, who was some way behind him. He let the door go just as she got there, shutting it in her face.
What the kimchi?
This past couple of weekends, I've gone to the movies. Last week, it was "Alice In Wonderland," and this week it was "Shutter Island." Both of these movies were disappointments (I want my money back for "Shutter"), and Flint was glad he gave them a pass.
But both times, I had a mook sitting next to me pull out his cell phone to answer a call/make a text message.
What the kimchi?
I'm trying to watch the movie, and this brain dead moron doesn't have the courtesy to think the beeps, talking, and bright light is not a distraction.
I smacked the first guy, and flicked popcorn at the second. Both of them looked at me as if to say, "What? What's your problem?"
I've already written about the discourtesy that the average Korean driver exhibits, driving like they own the road and everybody else should look out for them. I do try to look out for them, more out of a sense of self-preservation than that of being courteous. I have been less willing to allow people to cut in or merge lately, simply because of the constant never-ending mookishness I experience just driving to work.
This country is in serious need of a good paddling, and a round of cotillion. Flint has always said he would enjoy seeing them try this shit in a place like New York or L.A. They'd get more than a smack, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I always harken back to the mooks at the theater when we went to see Miami Vice. The ass behind us answering his phone 2-3 times before being told to fuck off. And that bitch beside you who answered her phone 3 times and actually called out on it once. It was funny when you told her off.

    Her boyfriend decided he would try and intimidate Stig. So he stood up. Then I stood up. He looked at Stig ... looked up at me ... and sat his ass back down.

    She ended up ripping into the boyfriend.

    Bloody rude assholes. Mind you they made good examples for rudeness in many conversation classes.

    ReplyDelete