Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When Mooks Collide.

I have mentioned the idiots here who like to pull u-turns through cross-walks. Even when the cross walks are in use. I have mentioned delivery drivers on their scooters who drive on side-walks and through crosswalks. Neither brand of mook pays any attention to those around them. have you ever what would happen if the mooks collided? That is one tries to do a u-turn through a crosswalk while the other is driving through it.

I got to see the tail end of it on my way to work yesterday. It was sprinkling rain so the roads were a little greasy. As I got ready to turn into the street my hagwon entrance is on I noticed something up ahead at the intersection. A car with it's bumper ripped off in one lane and a scooter and a body in the other.



Not wanting to be a stupid mook who rubber necks and causes problems I kept going and parked my scooter. Then I went back for a look with my trusty camera.

One of the guys who works out at my gym was on the sidewalk watching. He told me I missed the accident by about 30 seconds. The van did a u-turn into the crosswalk while the scooter was crossing. BOTH had a red light. The scooter guy STILL wasn't moving at this point.

My friend retold the tale with hand gestures and sound affects. By now the scooter guy was starting to move. Eventually he sat up. I didn't feel like standing around so I left.





This is why I drive defensively in Korea. too many mooks like these two. My first year teaching, one of my students and her friend were getting off the school bus in a parking lot. A fucking mook decided he would go around the bus through the parking spot. My student ended up in hospital. Her friend died. A 8 year old kid got to see her friend die in front of her because of the way these selfishly oblivious assholes drive. She was never the same. Back in 2004 this is how a guy I knew got killed. A taxi driver doing an illegal u-turn into a crosswalk. While he was crossing at the green. He was DOA. If you ever wonder why I have 0 tolerance for the way these fucking assholes drive now you have an idea.

I am not one to say I told you so. When people do it to me I want to smack them around. I see incidents of mooks u-turning into crosswalks at least once a month. I always figured I would eventually see someone get hit. Hoped I wouldn't. This guy was lucky. Many aren't.


2 comments:

  1. Oh man, how many times have I see that? I watched a man explode about a year ago, when he was hit by a car. Strangely, the car stopped. But no one bothered to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no Good Samaritan law in Korea. So if you help someone they can blame you for some of their injuries and go after you for blood money. Pretty fucked up.

    ReplyDelete