Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Turning Text Books into Tablets.

I meant to post this yesterday but got ... distracted. Sometimes I write several things in advance but don't publish them right away so as not to inundate the blog with posts. Which is what happened with this one. But I digress.

A friend sent me a link to an e-article a few days ago about how South Korea is planning a big change in how kids are taught. Text books will be phased out by 2015. Instead, students will have a special tablet and access to a cloud based system for school material. Overall, an interesting article and policy.

Personally I prefer paper books to reading on a screen. However, it would have made for a much lighter load to carry when I was in school and University. One tablet instead of a shitload of books does sound nice.

They will have to make it so the kids can't add programs though or it will quickly become a gaming tool. I am sure some enterprising future programmer will find a way around that anyway. It should be interesting to see how this works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment