Sunday, February 28, 2010

What the ... Pet Peeves?!?!?

In one of my higher level classes Friday we talked about pet peeves. Of course I had to explain to them what a pet peeve was. A pet peeve is something people do that annoys you. You could see some light bulbs starting to go off above their heads.

Then I took a pen and started clicking it. A light bulb went on above one girls head. "Yes! I hate that!" The others quickly understood.

I told them I have many pet peeves, whether it is home or in Korea. Some things are universal. Just then I cringed. One of the kids said "I know you pet peeve!" They all started laughing and I joined in.

What made me cringe was our receptionist. Like many Koreans, she NEVER picks up her feet when she walks. She always scuffles up and down the hall. I hate that sound. Would it kill people to pick their bloody feet up when they walk?

Pretty smart kid. She saw me cringe and remembered hearing me complain about people scuffling about.

Last night Stig and I were enjoying an after dinner cigar. For about 3-4 seconds it got quiet. It was eerie for Korea, but beautiful. The sound that broke the silence? Some ricetard scuffling their feet. It is amazing how many Koreans do it. My mother would have smacked me one if I walked like that as a kid. As an adult she would ask me if I ever learned how to walk properly.

The kids brought up some interesting pet peeves of their own. One hates it when people scrap their chopsticks , fork, or spoon on plates and pans. Another hates it when people sit revving their car engines. (I have some moronic neighbours who like to do that.) Another hated ... spitting. I asked if they were Korean. :) The last one made me chuckle because I also share it for the same reasons. People parked outside someones apartment beeping their horn to get the persons attention. I hate that one back home but here there is even less of a reason to do it in Korea. Everyone has a cell phone. Don't beep the horn. Call the person you moron!

2 comments:

  1. Why you no like the kimchi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like THE kimchi. Some of THE kimchi. Regular kimchi can be yummy and when done right I love cucumber kimchi.

    ReplyDelete