Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Year 1 - Wheel Watching

Hi

Someone wrote and said it sounded like there is a lot of commotion in the area I live. Commotion is a very apt term. There is always some sort of commotion on the streets, regardless of the time day or night. Night does seem to be the busiest though.

Last night, while waiting for some friends to show up to go to dinner, I sat outside a corner store and thought of John Lennon. More specifically the song that goes o/~ I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round...o/~.

You could spend a while just watching the interaction of drivers at night. On the one way street that is in front of my apartment, and the store, it can get very congested running both ways. Especially when drivers reach the T intersection in front of the cafe. Then you can get drivers coming from 3 different directions, on a one way street.

Sometimes the drivers will give way to another. It is amazing how tightly they can turn their car into a small spot so someone can go arorund them. Other times a honking match ensues, with much flashing of lights. Only once did I see someone get out of his car and start getting verbal with another driver. Then he smacked the guys car a few times, got back in his, and things slowly cleared up. I guess Road Rage is not limited to just the west.

I woke up early this morning, and decided to go for a walk around 7:00 AM. Things were still bustling, although not as much as during the night. Most of the restaurants were closed, and some were just closing. Some bars were still open and busy. This is definitely a city that doesn't sleep.

Take care
Flint

***********

Even then it was interesting to watch Koreans drive. I am surprised I haven't seen more road rage. WHat I saw was TAME by western standards of road rage. And if I add in the Korean Taxi driver last month it makes that Korean look like a pussy.

I didn't write about it then but my 2nd or 3rd night I woke up around 3 or 4 AM. Couldn't get back to sleep. So I went for a walk for a little while. It amazed me that it was still fairly busy out.

2 comments:

  1. Korean drivers are as bad as Parisian drivers. That's to say how low in my esteem they are.

    It shocks me how stupid and dangerous they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But those Shanghai cabbies almost made me wet my pants in fear.

    The worst one was driving down the WRONG side of the road yelling and shaking his fist at the cars coming toward us. He wanted to pass a bus.

    ReplyDelete