Thursday, February 18, 2010

Year 1 - Customer Service

Hi

Koreans take customer service very seriously. Whether it is a bank, a convenience store, a gas station, or a stall at the traditional market. They don't open self service gas stations here because no one wants to use them. For a negligible savings in the price of gas you do it yourself. ON the way to Korean Immigration we stopped for gas. TWO people service you. one to pump your gas, the other to pump your ... hand. (You thought I was gonna say something dirty didn't ya? That is the COffee Girls job not Gas Attendants.) While the gas is being pumped the other person gives you a newspaper, and coupon book. Sees if you would like a complimentary coffee. PLUS he cleans your windows and offers to check your oil. Now that is frickin service! All of this with a smile, and a thank you. And they seem sincere. They take a lot more pride in their work than any gas station attendant I have ever seen.

I have previously mentioned the people who run the convenience store in my apartment building. They go out of their way to help customers, even ones who don't speak the language. When I moved into the apartment from my temp one they loaned me a dolly. When they see you on the street they always say hello. They take their customer service seriously. They take pride in their work.

After opening my bank account I went for a walk around with another teacher. On our way to the traditional market I saw a street vendor selling something. I couldn't read what it was but the smell captivated both of us. She was selling these strange looking cakes. A friend of mine, Gail, who had lived in Korea told me to look for walnut cakes. I found them! Thy take some cake batter and partially cook it in a mould. Then they add some walnut and more batter. They cook them on the spot until they are a nice golden brown. The cakes actually look like walnuts. They also have peanut cakes. They are fantastic. A very nice snack.

We looked around the market for a while. I bought a huge pillow that goes the width of my bed and is like having 2 pillows side by side, stacked 2 high. A small mat for in front of my door. Plus some mushrooms, we do a brunch every weekend, or try to. This weekend I am making omletes.

Last night i found out I had the wrong name for the dumplings I ate yesterday. They are called Mando (Sounds like Mountain Do). While waiting for ours to cook, the owner gave us some Kimchi Mando to try. The flavour explodes in your mouth. If you like spicy, you will love kimchi mando. I know I do.

After that we sort of wandered back to our apartments. I am getting my internet srvice finalized this afternoon, preparing for my evening classes, and writing this.

So far, that was my day. Another good one.

Take care
Flint

*********

I do like the customer service here. Most places go all out. And no one expects, or demands, a tip.

2 comments:

  1. Those peanut cakes snacks are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. There was a place almost in front of my second school selling them. Had to visit it a couple of times a week. :)

    ReplyDelete