Saturday, February 20, 2010

Year 1 - Still drinking the kool-aid

Hi

I am getting used to going around more on my own, and slowly learning Korean.

I can go into a restaurant and order what I like in Korean. Same goes for bars. I can say hello, goodbye, thank you, cold, I am cold, and a few other phrases. All in what 2 and a half weeks?

One thing I have noticed in my sojourns is entertainment. A lot of corner stores, and EVERY arcade have a couple of games that seem to be very popular. The first is a kicking/punching bag game. The object is to hit it as hard as you can and get the highest power rating. They will spend HOURS hitting these things, especially while drinking. I have seen more than a few hobbling away from the kicking machines.

The other "game" I have noticed a lot of people playing is called "Happy Crane". Remember those games you used to see at the airport or bowling alley? The one that you pumped money into, used a crane, and tried to grab a prize? Well, they are ALL over the place here. People pump money into these two games faster than a video gambling machine back in Dartmouth.

One of the things I really miss about home is bath tubs. There are none in the apartments here. I have been tempted to rent a hotel room for a night just so I can soak in a hot tub of water.

The World Cup of Football will be here in 2002. A few of us are going to try and get tickets and see at least one of the games that will take place in Chongju.

One thing I haven't talked about yet is the underworld of Chongju, the sex industry. I don't think I will email this part to mom. ;)

Korea is a very conservative country compared to other Asian countries. Sex is easier to get in say Japan or China. The people of Korea tends to be more moralistic, and steeped in family tradition.

However, that doesn't mean that there aren't any outlets for them. One of my classes, in a discussion on differences between Korea and Japan, educated me on a few interesting subjects.

First there are Coffee Girls. You will see them EVERYWHERE driving their motor scooters. They don't lean over the handlebars. They sit with perfect posture while driving, and are always dressed to the 9's.

You can call a number and they will bring coffee and snacks to your apartment. They serve you coffe and food, drink and eat with you, and chat. For most of them, they will have sex with you IF they like you. Some are out and out prostitutes, but most aren't, and choose whether or not to have sex.

Then there are Parlor Rooms and Parlor Girls. They are basically the same as Coffee Girls, but you have to go to them. You are served dinner, drinks, etc. Then you may get to go into a back room for a ride.

They also have your regular type of whores. Them you take to a sex hotel. Sex hotels are easily noticed, they all look like castle towers. You rent the rooms by the hour. There are even a few Russian whores from Vladivostok. The Oriental men LOVE blonde women. Especially tall ones. "Bagging" one is seen as a bit of a status symbol.

Something else my class enlightened me on was sex trips. Business men from Japan will come to Korea for "special" business trips. Which basically means they come to get their ashes hauled by the locals. Koreans feel that this is just another example of how the Japanese look down on them, and see them as objects they own and can use at will. Mind you they don't see Korean men using Coffee Girls or Parlor Girls in the same light.

It was an interesting class.

One thing I have noticed is that crime, as we think of it, isn't that prevalent. A lot of people will go out and leave their doors unlocked.

Something I haven't done, and I doubt I would get used too. There are a LOT of police and army around at any time. When you reach 18 National Service is mandatory. You can either go into the Army or the Police. They take their law and order seriously here.

That is all for now.


****

I have to laugh now when I read myself saying Korea is conservative. Might be the subject of a good post. Exactly how is Korea conservative?

My male (adult) students were always eager to talk about the sex industry and the evils of Japan. They left out the sex junkets Korean men go on.

I was new and slurping up the kool-aid.

I was also still confused about the name of the city I was living in. Chongju, Cheongju, Jeonju. There were NO World Cup games in Cheongju. There were just too many ways to anglicize Korean and too many cities with similar names. And I am a tad stupid. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment