Friday, February 12, 2010

Year 1 - Food Talk

Hi again

The pibimpap was very good.

Last night after classes a few of us went to a Soju bar across the street from my apartment. (Of course there would be a Soju bar across the street from me.)

We didn't have Soju but we had a great meal. (which I think I might have described the first time I had it.) It started off with a dish I don't know the name of. It is sort of like a pizza, very thin, made mainly form egg with some veggies and squid in it. You dip it in a soy sauce that contains sesame seed, green onion, and hot pepper. VERY tasty. It comes with a seaweed soup.

This was followed by a dish called calanmiri (sp?). It is sort of reminisent of quiche, but shaped like a log. Egg is the main ingredient, plus there is spinach or seaweed inside of it. You dip it in the soy sauce mixture mentioned above.

That was followed by the main course. Sun Du Bu Chigae which is a spicy tofu and seafood soup. It can also be made with pork. The seafood is usually clams, but anchovies are sometimes used as well. This comes with kim, which is a type of seaweed; Steamed rice; kimchi, sprouts which were marinated then steamed; and radish kimchi.

Most people put some of the soup over their rice. Then you take a sheet of kim (it is about the size of a notepad sheet) put some rice, or kimchi, or sprouts, or tofu, or seafood, or any combination there of, in it, wrap it up and pop it in your mouth. Mmmmmmmmm.

By the time you are done you are STUFFED, and very content.

Saturday night we went to another restaurant. A more tradtional one, where you sit on the floor at a table. There is a grill in the middle of the table. You get strips of meat which you can cut into any desired shape to grill. Plus a load of different veggies, kimchi, radish kimchi, sprouts, kim, various edible leaves, rice, seaweed soup, onion soup, and I am probably forgetting a few items. It was great.

For some reason I feel the urge to go out for a late lunch.

Take care
Flint

************************************

Heh ... garanmari. I did eventually learn the names of things. :)

I HATED tofu before I came to Korea. I do like many of the ways they do it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment