Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Year 1 - More Food Talk

Howdy

Since I was absent for a while, I figured I would do another little update. Of course this means that something happened today which might bear telling. Lunch.

I had been talking with one of the other teachers about Hae Jang Kuk's. So far I had eaten 2 types. Byeo Oda Kwi Hae Jang Kuk (the pork rib/bone one) and Sogogi Hae Jang Kuk (beef). There is a third one I have heard about which uses sprouts and fish. Deva mentioned that the restaurant next to the school sold another type and he wondered if I would eat it.

It is called Seon Ji Hae Jang Kuk. The main ingredient is pigs blood. Congealed pigs blood. After having eaten the squid tentacles and all Friday night, Deva figured I would eat that. Or that if I balked at eating something this would be it. So of course I went out and had it for lunch with some students.

Seon Ji Hae Jang Kuk is not the spiciest. Luckily it came with the usual side dishes, rice, AND a small bowl of diced Jalapeno peppers. So I was able to spice it up. There were large chunks of congealed pigs blood in the Kuk. You break them up into smaller portions, which makes it easier to spoon them out. As with the other Kuk's, you add the rice and mix well.

Then I noticed that the meat I was eating looked, how shall we say, different. It was tasty, I already knew that. So I asked one of the students. He smirked and said: "It is good. Eat it." To which I replied, I know it is good, I have been eating it. What is it, the stomach of the pig?" He said: "Yes." Damn, it was tasty.

The stomach is actually tasty. It looks strange. Sort of white and yellow. A bit spongey. There are little white, hmmmm, tentacle like things over one side of it too. Overall, it was the least spicy Kuk I have had, but it was still good. :)

Tomorrow, I go shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment