Thursday, February 18, 2010

What the ..... silver hair?

So I am sitting at my desk starting my 3 hour break. A co-worker is sitting beside me. he is playing a game on his computer. Another co-worker comes in and starts chatting at us in English and Korean. (They are Korean.) She tells him in Korean that she sees a white hair or two. Then she proceeds to start grooming his hair by pulling the white hairs out.

20 minutes later she is still pulling out white hairs. He is keeping them in a small pile to the side on his desk. She actually asks me to help her. I decline.

25 minutes later she is finished and he has a nice little stack of white hairs.

What the f ... I mean kimchi did I just witness?

He is married, she isn't. Was this some sort of friendship ritual? They have a little something something on the side? Did I witness a form of skinship? Hairship?


6 comments:

  1. so they groom like monkeys is that what you are implying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. I would be lying if I said the thought never crossed my mind. But I didn't want to make that analogy.

    I have been here 9 years and have never seen this kind of behaviour before. I have heard of it, but it has always been husband and wife doing it. Not co-workers and while at work. It was kind of bizarre to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn... They monkey comment has already been made.

    I've never seen Koreans groom like monkeys, but that's exactly the first thing that crossed my mind reading this post. "What the... monkey?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flint: WTK! What was that? What were you doing?

    Co-teacher: Why sulplise you? This is Korean culture. You no understand.


    Flint, why you think only of friendship? Can't a married ajossi have little something something with his agasshi co-teacher? Oh wait! Can't a agasshi have little something something with her married ajossi co-teacher?

    Phew! What am I thinking? Where am I going this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. KRD

    I almost went with What the monkey but I gave a student hell for calling Japanese monkeys. So I held back.

    Will try not to in the future. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ajay

    Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read your comment. :)

    Being invited to help was ... strangee.

    ReplyDelete